Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Letter to Adi

Dear Adi,

It may seem cliche for me to be writing a letter to you online; however, I feel I need to.

I remember my excitement when I chose my first class of yours: Comm. Theory. Us newspaper girls would sit in the back of the class, and you would always say we were sure to cause trouble since we were "the media." That's when I knew I was in for a great semester.

To tell you the honest truth, I didn't know much about your cancer before attending your class. I had heard rumors and bits of information here and there, but I never really knew, and I didn't want to pry. I am very glad you were willing to share that information, though.

Halfway through the semester you changed my life. I didn't expect to get a phone call from my doctor as I was walking out of one of your many famous classes. I didn't expect it to be my OB/GYN. And I didn't expect them to tell me I may have HPV and cervical cancer.

At the time I really didn't know you had been diagnosed with cervical cancer specifically. I just walked up to you before class and apologized if I seemed distracted. You took the time to look me in the eyes--with so much empathy and understanding--and told me it would all be OK. I had cried, and you had too.

No matter how you were feeling each day, you always asked me how I was feeling, and what I had heard from the doctor. You explained each procedure to assist me in reducing my uncertainty. We even exchanged many text messages with dirty jokes to keep us laughing.

The part that always got to me though was a common quote you used to say to me. You would say "No one your age should have to go through this much medical stuff. It's just not right."

Adi, you we don't have a large gap in age difference between us. You're right, but at the same time you're wrong. No one at any age should have to go through this much medical stuff.

Toward the end I really started to get depressed knowing you were struggling. Even though you were getting sicker, you still found time to laugh with me over text messages. I didn't know how I was going to handle it when you finally left us because I couldn't help but think: what would I have done in your situation? If I had been positive for cervical cancer, would I have taken this as well as you had? Would I have had the courage and strength to continue to bless so many lives? I'm just not sure.

Before you left, you asked me one thing. You asked me to make sure your family back East received the ribbons. I want to let you know I personally handed the ribbons, along with the gift I had had for you to your brother. I'm sorry you were not able to hand them to them yourself.

So Adi, wherever you are, please don't stop listening. Please continue to inspire us and teach us. And please, never, ever stop laughing at the jokes we had. I love you Adi and miss you very much.

With love,

Casie

No comments: