"First-grader Eric Aikens said he voted for Barack Obama, calling the candidate his 'favorite person.'
'My dad likes Barack Obama,' Aikens said. 'I like Barack Obama because he is really funny.'
Joey Robertson, a second-grade student, cast his electronic ballot for John McCain.
'I just think he has better ideas,' Robertson said."
I couldn't help but imagine this little kid whose feet don't even touch the floor looking at the different candidates and choosing a president.
On the other hand I think this idea sort of pushes the topic among youth at a very young age. Even though, yes, it will effect them in the long run, why push the importance of voting now? It takes away the opportunity for them to choose whether or not they'll register to vote. Now remember we're in America and even though we have the right and privelege to vote, not everybody will. I originally never signed up because of religious beliefs. So far in the last two weeks I've heard people say people who aren't registered shouldn't be an American citizen, and that I am an unethical or disguisting person because I didn't take the opportunity to vote. Now if this is the land of the freedom of religion, speech and more, then why should I be criticized for my beliefs? Yes the next president was important to me, but that doesn't make me bad, sick and wrong for not voting. Why etch it into these young minds that you need to start voting at a young age?
So I guess my point is don't push these kids to do anything that they should have an option of doing. Don't forget you're in a land of freedom of choice. Don't criticize someone elses' choices. To see the article visit http://thespectrum.com/article/20081104/NEWS03/811040328&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL.

No comments:
Post a Comment