I've seen a lot of staff members come and go. Most of the staff this semester has served with me for at least a year. I was fortunate enough to work with a few of these staff members for four years. At the end of this semester we will all part ways. A few of us may stay in St. George, and a few of us will leave. Either way I will not wake up every morning knowing I will see these close friends in newspaper every day.
As cheesy as it may sound, I can't imagine waking up without going to school in the morning. I'm looking into Master's programs and I realized I will not be going to Dixie State College after my last final in April. That is actually what determined my decision to possibly apply to work for the college. I really am keeping my fingers crossed I can be hired on asap; however, I cannot really start unless I'm in a Master's program. Eventually I look forward to possibly running the new magazine production in DSC's communication department.
To give you an opportunity to walk in my shoes for a few moments, I have added some photos below of the program that has consumed my life.

Every week we look forward to seeing these newly printed newspapers stacked outside our door. We print 2,500 papers per week and also publish online.

The Dixie Sun doesn't bind its editions anymore. But back in the day we used to bind the issues at the end of the year. There is an amazing collection of historical Dixie Sun issues. This newspaper has grown so much!

Blood, sweat and tears go into these newspapers every week. What most students don't realize is how many hours their fellow students are dedicating to publish a well-written and accurate newspaper every week. Next time you pick up a Dixie Sun, realize there is an amazing staff of students working hard for your benefit.

We work a week ahead of ourselves to produce a new newspaper. We map out our game plan and share ideas.

This is just another photo of the newsroom.

I took this photo a couple years ago and I absolutely love it. It just seemed to capture the theme of Dixie Spirit while showing the new ideas they're moving forward with. It's amazing this college has been open since 1911.
My newest assistant online editor, Kassi. She's an amazing person, and she was willing to try an anchovy all in good fun.
She didn't like it. :)
Here are some of the amazing staff members that give the Dixie Sun a heartbeat.

No comments:
Post a Comment